I had put off and procrastinated long enough, I had a stack of papers waiting to be processed, and now I sat down to put it off no further. It seemed simple enough a task and before long, I had neat little piles of things, and began to mull my resources.
Mundanely enough, I went to get the plastic file box that I use to sort my papertrail and was musing about returning to some of my former filing habits.
As I was looking for a possible suitable second box to repurpose for better sorting; I checked out the several that I have accumulated over the years - some of them have permanent inhabitants, and that is OK. But I knew that wasn't the case for all of them, and I was looking for low hanging fruit for my repurposing adventures. I'm frugal with everything. ;-)
And there, in the second box I opened, I found the jackpot. It had a binder and some stuff in a pendaflex hanging thingie, and some envelopes... easy enough to get to use without major additional collateral messes to address. I hit a winner.
As I was taking things out, I'm somewhat mindful of what I'm removing, and I notice some old holiday stickers and address labels from 2008 ... and chuckle ... I was trying to be so compliant, I hadn't given up on trying to fit in and be a good whatever I was supposed to be to please everybody else that doesn't exist... yeah, I was still doing that.
I found my eldest son's SAT scores - no idea why they are in that box, but after the divorce I never quite have sorted everything with a fine toothed comb - set aside ...
And as my mind mulled these things and G64/7 different *other* things all at once, I noticed two little envelopes in the bottom of the box.
...
They were sealed - and addressed - to C and H.
...
I picked them up. They weren't empty - I expected them to have been opened. I could feel the muscles in my forehead frown at the mystery. They looked like my handwriting.
...
I opened the one with the C written on the front of it.
When I say opened, I mean, I tore through a sticker of a smiling Robbie The Robot Analogue affixed to the back; all the while wondering what on Earth could be in such a tiny sealed envelope in the bottom of such an improbable box in my closet on this Wednesday night of high stakes paperwork wrangling and filing ... a thank you card.
::blink::
Really?
Who could have written a thank you ...
Oh my god ... my eyes met the inside and I sat on the floor with my mouth wide.
C -

Thank you for being the most loving and very best kind of friend there is.
So lucky you are mine.
Jessica
::silent tears::
I sit there crying for a long little while. Now holding the other card and wondering, who is H? Could it possibly be another card from her? No ... I still can't believe I'm holding this one. Can't believe I hear her voice read the words in my head. Can't believe I see her handwriting. I'm holding it ... it's so surreal. I'm awake.
I opened the second envelope, and another smiling robot - this time in a spaceship - was torn asunder to satisfy my curiosity.
I was rewarded with an identical card.
H -

Thank you for all of the yummies and for your outrageous generosity. And thank you for being a friend to Cristal.
You are very special.
Jessica
::more tears::
Now I am totally hysterical.
I'm stunned. Floored describes it; as I sat there, dumbfounded on the floor with tears streaming and sobs wracking and heart breaking all over the place: just awash in so many unregisterable feelings.
And then I smiled as a single thought like a bell rang in my mind: you have the most incredible karma, if ever you doubt that, Cristal, here is your proof.
I'm astonished, overfilled with gratitude and heart broken again. But that happens just a little bit every time I think of her - and it registers yet again, that she is gone forever. But here is a mystery. There is no date on the card. How could I come into possession of these and why wouldn't I have opened them?
So strange.
Who could H be? There is only one possible person, but that only deepens the mystery for me. If the other letter, as I suspect, was intended for her stepdad, how would I have come to possess it? Why? Wouldn't she give it to him?
The biggest mystery to me is why they remained sealed for so long.
As I started to go through the papers in search of the answers to that mystery, I came across other artifacts from the past that I can't write about here, but will (there will be a part two, I promise). That brings the date range of the box from 2004-2008/9. Well during my time as a married person.
I wonder now, was this when she was still living here? That is the only sense I can make of why I would had a thank you card for H - he lived here too. But why would I still have them, ostensibly ten years later, and only find and open them almost two years after her death?
I'm sitting here wondering all these things; and the dreams I have had about her lately have only kept her on my mind. I know the anniversary of her death is in only four days. I know I have felt each of the 700+ days and felt the loss of her light in the world. I have mourned, and celebrated; I have cherished and recounted; but nothing will place her hand in mine again. What I can have to hold is only the miracle of finding her and having her love for ten years of my life.
And this, this little gift from the Universe that I found buried in an unlikely place.
Mundanely enough, I went to get the plastic file box that I use to sort my papertrail and was musing about returning to some of my former filing habits.
As I was looking for a possible suitable second box to repurpose for better sorting; I checked out the several that I have accumulated over the years - some of them have permanent inhabitants, and that is OK. But I knew that wasn't the case for all of them, and I was looking for low hanging fruit for my repurposing adventures. I'm frugal with everything. ;-)
And there, in the second box I opened, I found the jackpot. It had a binder and some stuff in a pendaflex hanging thingie, and some envelopes... easy enough to get to use without major additional collateral messes to address. I hit a winner.
As I was taking things out, I'm somewhat mindful of what I'm removing, and I notice some old holiday stickers and address labels from 2008 ... and chuckle ... I was trying to be so compliant, I hadn't given up on trying to fit in and be a good whatever I was supposed to be to please everybody else that doesn't exist... yeah, I was still doing that.
I found my eldest son's SAT scores - no idea why they are in that box, but after the divorce I never quite have sorted everything with a fine toothed comb - set aside ...
And as my mind mulled these things and G64/7 different *other* things all at once, I noticed two little envelopes in the bottom of the box.
...
They were sealed - and addressed - to C and H.
...
I picked them up. They weren't empty - I expected them to have been opened. I could feel the muscles in my forehead frown at the mystery. They looked like my handwriting.
...
I opened the one with the C written on the front of it.
When I say opened, I mean, I tore through a sticker of a smiling Robbie The Robot Analogue affixed to the back; all the while wondering what on Earth could be in such a tiny sealed envelope in the bottom of such an improbable box in my closet on this Wednesday night of high stakes paperwork wrangling and filing ... a thank you card.
::blink::
Really?
Who could have written a thank you ...
Oh my god ... my eyes met the inside and I sat on the floor with my mouth wide.
C -
Thank you for being the most loving and very best kind of friend there is.
So lucky you are mine.
Jessica
::silent tears::
I sit there crying for a long little while. Now holding the other card and wondering, who is H? Could it possibly be another card from her? No ... I still can't believe I'm holding this one. Can't believe I hear her voice read the words in my head. Can't believe I see her handwriting. I'm holding it ... it's so surreal. I'm awake.
I opened the second envelope, and another smiling robot - this time in a spaceship - was torn asunder to satisfy my curiosity.
I was rewarded with an identical card.
H -
Thank you for all of the yummies and for your outrageous generosity. And thank you for being a friend to Cristal.
You are very special.
Jessica
::more tears::
Now I am totally hysterical.
I'm stunned. Floored describes it; as I sat there, dumbfounded on the floor with tears streaming and sobs wracking and heart breaking all over the place: just awash in so many unregisterable feelings.
And then I smiled as a single thought like a bell rang in my mind: you have the most incredible karma, if ever you doubt that, Cristal, here is your proof.
I'm astonished, overfilled with gratitude and heart broken again. But that happens just a little bit every time I think of her - and it registers yet again, that she is gone forever. But here is a mystery. There is no date on the card. How could I come into possession of these and why wouldn't I have opened them?
So strange.
Who could H be? There is only one possible person, but that only deepens the mystery for me. If the other letter, as I suspect, was intended for her stepdad, how would I have come to possess it? Why? Wouldn't she give it to him?
The biggest mystery to me is why they remained sealed for so long.
As I started to go through the papers in search of the answers to that mystery, I came across other artifacts from the past that I can't write about here, but will (there will be a part two, I promise). That brings the date range of the box from 2004-2008/9. Well during my time as a married person.
I wonder now, was this when she was still living here? That is the only sense I can make of why I would had a thank you card for H - he lived here too. But why would I still have them, ostensibly ten years later, and only find and open them almost two years after her death?
I'm sitting here wondering all these things; and the dreams I have had about her lately have only kept her on my mind. I know the anniversary of her death is in only four days. I know I have felt each of the 700+ days and felt the loss of her light in the world. I have mourned, and celebrated; I have cherished and recounted; but nothing will place her hand in mine again. What I can have to hold is only the miracle of finding her and having her love for ten years of my life.
And this, this little gift from the Universe that I found buried in an unlikely place.
What a neat and sort of sad find! It's great to hear voices from the past, even if they are only in writing.
ReplyDeleteIt was easily one of the most profoundly thought-provoking and overwhelmingly positive things to happen in my life so far.
ReplyDelete