A month has passed.
She’s been through a lot.
And now another long weekend with unpaid furlough days is being foisted upon me for the 4th of July.
I want to see her.
I go to every travel website, trying to make it come true. The logistics suck.
No matter if I fly into Charlotte, or wherever, I still need to rent a car and drive two hours. She’s going to have chemo, I can’t rely on them to take the time to get me to the airport, the trip isn’t about me, it’s about her.
I agonize. The tickets are $600 without the car, which is $200 more.
I simply don’t have that.
I’m talking again to J, and we are bouncing things off each other, as we do. He knows I want to see her. Knows how important she is.
“If you can get here, I’ll drive you”, he says.
I stop, think, look up tickets to ATL. I can afford *those*. And the $200.00 for the rental car goes away...
You’d really do that?
“Yes.”
So, I book the tickets at the very last minute.
“Where will we stay he asks?”
I don’t know, I say. We’ll figure it out. Let’s just go, I know we can figure out something there. He’ll pay for our food, I’ve got the gas. We always split things like this. It works for us.
I give my boss next to no notice that I’ll be taking time off, and hastily get ready.
I almost miss my flight, but don’t, and as soon as I’m board - I feel lighter.
My old ways of over-planning everything, needing everything in order before I can feel peace, are gone. Instead as my lover asks me the reasonable questions of: “what time are we leaving on Friday”, “When do you want to come back”, and things like this. I only say, let’s go when we go, and we’ll call them when we are on the way - that’s five hours advance notice - and we’ll get there when we get there and do whatever we do once we are there. Of course, this is entirely OK with him.
So, we go rock climbing when I arrive, because, well, why not? And I meet his rock climbing group over pizza and beers after I let them hold the end of a rope that kept me from plummeting in exactly the way that a sheep who thinks it is a bird does. I like them. They are fun. We head home at a reasonable time, and get some sleep, and J has to work in the morning for a few hours, so we’ll leave after that.
As for me, I’m tired. I catch up for months of sleep deprivation whenever I’m around him. He went off to work in the AM, and I didn’t wake up until almost noon to a note that read: “at work, sleep well, home around lunch.” I woke to a stretch and a smile and started puttering to get ready what I would need for the trek to the Carolinas.
We set off in the afternoon and I gave the heads-up call to Jessica, found out that we had no real place to stay, and that didn’t bother us a bit. There is always a tent in the trunk, and we are welcome to pitch it in the front yard. Accommodation issues resolved.
The traffic was ridiculous, as usual, and we decided of course to get off the highway on the first scenic trail we saw and take it instead of the freeway. We went a bit out of our way, but enjoyed the majestic mountains and foothills as we sojourned Northward. We had a bunch of snacks: cheese, wine, grapes, pistachios, crackers, and nibbled as we drove on in complete comfort. We took a brief pit stop for “dinner” at a park near Table Mountain, and sat there at the closed visitors’ center nibbling and swinging on the porch swing while watching the Sun set. We got in a few hours late, but we pitched the tent together in the dark in silent cooperation, and readied ourself and our ‘room’ for the night.
We drove around Boone the next day, and saw “the sights”, but being the 4th, everything was so crowded with parades, etc. So, we didn’t really park or stay, just drove and then went home. The boys were wonderful, and J and I thoroughly enjoyed caring for them and lightening a bit of Jessica’s load. Stories for nap time, and loooong walks were the order of the day; and of course, closely monitored play time in the tent - what little boy can resist the allure of a real live tent in the yard? - certainly not little Q. The boys were well behaved, and completely worn out by the end of the day, once we were through with them.
J was wonderful, and vacuumed and mopped every inch of the house to prepare for her to come home from her next round of chemo, And we took turns rubbing her feet and generally helping out wherever we could, at times, it was pretty frustrating, but in general, we enjoyed more moments than we didn’t; and I feel that Jessica enjoyed both of our company.
In all, she still looks beautiful. Yes, she has scars now where before she had none. Yes, she really is way too skinny. Yes, she still looks beautiful without hair. And her sense of humour is completely intact. She is unbowed, and indomitable. I’m so proud, and I am filled with humble joy that she counts me as a close friend. I look at little Q: the peanut I delivered into this world, and I just want to hug and hold him. And little O, so cranky, but so sweet, I want to teach him how not to shmush every little bug we are watching: fascinated, and to simply watch as well. I only wish I lived closer.
The time to depart came too soon, and again we chose adventure rather than a direct, speedy route home. So, we drove through Asheville, and I visited Jen, an old friend whom I hadn’t seen in 23 years.
We met up at a coffee house, and chatted a bit; then she told us about the botanical garden nearby, and of course we had to go. As we crossed the bridge over the stream that meanders through the garden, J scampered down the side, kicked off his shoes and went wading. I’m smiling again as I recall this, we are both like little kids. I gingerly made my way down an earthen stair and joined him in the cool water, and I picked my way between and over rocks to avoid hurting my tender feet as I stepped along the bottom. Everywhere was lush vegetation, and the light sprinkle of rain only added to the scent of the cool, silver air. The leaves were speckled in the dew and the birds flitted to the feeder above our heads.
Then we walked around Asheville for a while, I enjoying this Bohemian city incongruously located in the deep South, while I plucked a flower, and tucked it behind my ear, as I so often do these days. I felt free and easy, and the company was gentle and quiet. I could have never left.
I had to go.
So we meandered along our way home, and stopped to visit a gorge on the way, and traversed the guard rail, to pick a path along below, through the underbrush, giggling all the way.
Then, the rain began.
And we headed back to the car, but didn’t close the windows all the way, and the moist scent permeated the interior and we both inhaled deeply.
Soon, it would be back to work.
Another watercolour had been spawned from our Sunset dinner at the mountain, and this account, which has rattled in my mind, seeking release until I finally had to sit and write was inspired from the experience.
My takeaway is not so strange; in fact, it has long been my central philosophy (though sometimes things and events have a way of solidifying even fairly concrete ideals):
Do it today.
Do it now.
You only have one chance.
You regret the things left undone more than those you did.
Life is too short for regrets anyway.
Spend the time you have in the best possible way, doing the most good, and in all things, you will have peace.
Never forget to love the ones you love; every moment with them is a gift, and tomorrow is no guarantee.
I’m glad I went.
No regrets.
OK I have some questions. I read through part ! and 2. It is very well written as I knew it would be. I am wanting to know if it is based on real life. Because if it is not, I believed it. It was written very well, this accounting of feelings and actions that the main character shows in dealing with the illness of a friend. I am a little taken aback by the term "lover" because it removes him from the story yet he is important to your psyche. Why not give him a name? The first part is definitely more soul-searching than the second. You really explore feelings more in the first one and I kind of missed that in the second. It became more of a telling of events to make the trip happen. You should be writing all the time.
ReplyDeleteYes, Jeanne, it is entirely factual. Every bit. Sadly, it isn't fiction, nor is any part of this blog. I think what you are feeling is the difference between the first realization of the situation - within my own semi-home, and the adventure that ensued as I ventured forth to 'do good things'. The second part of this *was* more logistical, more an adventure, even though punctuated by the reality of her struggle. But, it's all true, sadly - a great love of mine: someone whom I regard as a sister (I delivered her baby - little Q) is fighting the fight of her life, and I feel very impotent and far away, yet drawn ever tighter to her simultaneously.
ReplyDeleteI understand completely your reticence at the term 'lover' it is an affront to me also, yet, it is at the request of this man who holds my heart that I not mention him. And so , I do not. I do *so* wish, at times, that I could paint him in full color: dapple and render him in the pastiche that I see him.... but I am bound by his wish, and my nature. So, he has no name: is a phantom. Our being leaves me often forlorn, and yet, it is the most perfect love of two imperfect beings I can know... so no judgments from me. When I can no longer abide this, I will not. For now, and until he permits me to paint him more fully and give him the place and stature within my writing as he occupies in my heart, he will be J, or my lover; and so much more than that just below the surface... There will be more written on him in the blog to which you and only one other have access.
Thank you for your praise, it feels wonderful. I wish that I *could* write more, it pleases and soothes my soul more than it could possibly please anyone who reads it. Just like my art, I do this for myself, though the appreciation is a delightful icing on the cupcake, as it were, and enormously satisfying. XOXO Thank you for your comment, and for reading me here.
Cristol, You can think of every type of saying that would fit this situation. You have asked me time and time again why am I your hero, simply put look at what you have done. Look at the way you have affected others lives. Look what you are doing for Jessica! We all say that so and so is a friend or that person is close. It is not until a real time of need that you truly learn who really are your friend. I am so proud to have you in my life because of who you have become. If more of us would take the other route instead of the speedy route, how much more all of our lives would become more rounded. We would be able to relax and watch the flowers grow, to watch the wind effect the world around us. We would all breath in our surroundings. Cancer (said very softly, like in Neil Simmons movies and plays) is just horrible. It knows no color, religion or age. It doesn't care, it has no boundaries, it doesn't care where you came from. Experiencing myself with my loved ones and my friends, I can tell you this, when you have a person in your life like you, it makes it better to fight. Again, you are my hero! When g-d brought you into the world he really blessed all of us that have been involved in your life some way or another. The positive side of what happened to Jessica, she has you and her family in her life. I do not know many people that would do what you have done or still will do for her. My prayers are with her and her family. May g-d give her the strength to keep the fight. There are many battles that have been fought in this world, some we just read about and go "thank g-d that was not me", I bet Jessica would want to feel that now. She is now fighting the ultimate battle, the one for her life. And with you and her family in her corner, she has a fighting chance.
ReplyDeleteI am proud to call you my friend, I have always been that way, but now more than ever, my hero! Your words echo within my very soul, to my core. Such beautiful words, such eyes that you have opened to see time stand still. To tell us the, readers, what you are going through and trying to do to stay positive to help your friend. For that I count my self very very lucky, your friend....