Ahh - the majestic bald eagle... the symbol of America. When I was little, we used to see the eagles' nests' all the way down to the keys. We used to drive there almost every weekend and the large nests atop the electrical poles used to brighten the otherwise monotonous drive. We used to see them - wings splayed to catch the thermals, drifting above us in their slow, hypnotic circles... pure heaven.
But did you know...
The turkey was once suggested as a candidate for our national symbol... by none other than one of my heroes Ben Franklin. Well Ben - let me tell you - brilliant though you were this was a boner choice. I guess everybody is entitled to one fuck up do over and this was his.
So - I don't know who is aware, but I've been baby-sitting two Rhode Island Red chickens of laying age for the past half year. They are annoying to be sure (because they weren't raised from chicks) but the eggs are out of this world.
Well, we ran out of food and I went to Grifs to get another bag for the little pains in my ass. I left with not one bag of food, but two - and a bale of hay. And I added to my brood three new chicks and a baby turkey. Well, that's where the fun begins.
It turns out that turkeys are so brain damaged that if they do not have another bird to mimic they will die. This is astonishing to me. Well, I did bring home three little examples for it, but it still took it 6 hours to figure out how to eat.
Well, that brought to mind the state of American affairs. The fact that this bird was once offered up as a symbol of America and can not even figure out how to keep itself alive without help makes me think of modern American culture. How are the mainstream masses going to survive without someone to tell them what to do and how to think, and what to eat - it is really pathetic. Maybe Ben wasn't so far off....
No comments:
Post a Comment